Wednesday, October 26, 2011
BOO! 5 super-scary places to surrender your scream
1. Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. One of the most famous battles of the Civil War was fought here. While visiting the park and memorial, guests have reported armies marching in step. Others have reported sad ghostly wives looking for their spouses who had fallen during battle. You can explore Gettysburg with Discovery Student Adventures. We’ll leave the haunts behind!
2. St. Augustine, Florida. This quaint historic city was the first Spanish settlement in the United States. The Castillo De San Marco is a famous tourist attraction in the oldest city where hauntings supposedly take place. Reported spooky areas of the castle include the watch tower and the dungeon.
3. Jonesboro, Arkansas. Jonesboro is the largest city in Northeast Arkansas, bordering the Ozark mountains. While visiting local Craig’s Lake, beware of the ghost of a person who drowned while swimming with three teenage friends. He is often spotted swimming in the water, yelling for help.
4. Asheville, North Carolina. Called the Paris of the south, Asheville is home to the famous Biltmore House that supposedly still houses the occupants’ ghosts. George W. Vanderbilt and his wife Edith, are often heard throughout the mansion. His wife can still be heard in the library, softly talking to her husband.
5. San Antonio, Texas. San Antonio is known as the home of the Alamo. Nearby Mission San Jose has a romantic ghost story – a stonemason fell in love with a maiden while constructing the mission. She fell ill and after dying, the stonemason built a rose window with a memorial in honor of her. If you are lucky, you can catch sight of her in the window.
Do you believe in real-life haunted houses?
About Us (1) Arizona (1) back to school apps (1) beat the heat (1) biosphere (1) bullfighting (1) calendar (1) cliff of moher (1) costa rica (2) crocodile (1) d.c. (1) Destination Tips (4) discovery (1) discovery student adventures (10) dolomites (1) ecuador (2) endangered places (1) environmental (1) fundraising (1) Galapagos Islands (1) Global Student Support Program (1) go green (1) Grand Canyon (2) great white sharks (2) Greece (1) green travel (1) Halloween (1) Heatlh and Safety (1) holidays (1) humanitarian (1) Impact Costa RIca (1) milford sound (1) museums (1) new species (1) oldest cities (1) packing list (1) photo tips (1) ping pong (1) polar bears (2) professional development (2) robots (1) sea turtles (1) service (1) smithsonian (1) souvenirs (1) spain (1) student travel (1) summer travel (5) teacher travel (1) technology in the classroom (1) thanksgiving (1) Travel Tips (2) Twitter (1) uluru (1) universe (1) volunteer (1) washington (1) washington dc (1) washington monument (1) waterfalls (1) wonders of the world (1) world travel (1) zipline (1)